THE VISION

THE FOUNDER

BOOK CAITLIN NUNEZ

SOCIAL MEDIA

INQUIRIES OR QUESTIONS?

Sunday 24 July 2016

BLOGGER TEAM - EMILY - REPENTANCE

We all hear the word ‘repent’ over and over again, but a vast majority of us fail to understand the real definition of it.  This has led to confusion and misinterpretation, so before we gain a deeper understanding of repentance itself, let’s address the definition.

What Does Repentance Mean?

To repent is to turn around and change.  It is a process of recognising your sins, confessing them, and then turning around to fulfil righteousness.
Psalm 34:14 (NLT) states: “Turn away from evil and do good.  Search for peace, and work to maintain it.”

For me, the Scripture above defines repentance perfectly.  Take a minute to analyse both sentences: ‘turn away from evil and do good’ and ‘search for peace, and work to maintain it.’  It is evident to see that repentance goes much deeper than just acknowledging and confessing your sins.
Yes, these are the first steps, but it is not only about being remorseful of your wrongdoings.  You must actually have the desire to abide by God’s word and change your ways.  True repentance is about transformation.

Let’s take a look at Judas.  In Matthew 27:3-5, Judas was remorseful of his sinful ways but he failed to change them.
“When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the Chief Priests and the Elders.  “I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.”
“What is that to us?” they replied.  “That’s your responsibility.”
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left.  Then he went away and hanged himself.”

As you can see from the above, Judas did not have the desire to change his ways, which is why he ended up hanging himself.  It’s undeniable; things could have gone in a more positive direction if he actually tried to seek forgiveness.  However, because he chose to run away from the problem, Judas is not regarded as somebody who genuinely repented in the Bible.  Just to reiterate, remorse alone DOES NOT equal repentance.


So How Do I Repent?

2 Chronicles 7:14 (NIV) states: ”If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

When I first gave my life to Christ, I wasn’t sure about how the process worked.  All I remember was responding to an altar call with tears strolling down my cheek.  Although, I didn’t really know what I was doing, one thing I did know is that it was time for a change.  I wanted to be obedient to God and His Word, so I later did some research into the process which led me to the infamous 5 R’s of Repentance:
      Recognition –Be real with yourself and acknowledge your sinful ways
      Remorse – Regret your sinful ways and be willing to make a change
       Resentment –Dislike sin and dislike how it goes against God’s word
      Removal – Take practical steps to remove sin from your life
      Rejoice – Celebrate the fact that your sins have been forgiven!



Tomorrow is not promised, so today; make it a necessity to change.  Do not be left behind and do not gamble with your salvation.  Ask yourself this question: is it really worth the risk?  

No comments:

Post a Comment